This Grilled Steak Gluten-Free Fajitas Recipe with Cilantro Chimichurri is really good made with corn tortillas which make it gluten-free. If I go to a restaurant and they have fajitas, I almost always order them. They are so good when they come out hot sizzling in a cast iron pan. Well, I’ve never really thought of making them by myself. But now, that I’ve tried these gluten-free fajitas, I wish I would have tried a lot sooner – especially on the grill. I really like cooking them on the grill.
I don’t know why, but I’m intimidated to make fajitas in a cast iron skillet. I thin it’s because it’s really easy to over-cook them and have them come out tough. Plus, they tend to spit everywhere and make a huge mess, which I HATE!
Here are some tips, tricks, substitutions, etc. that you may want to try on these gluten-free fajitas:
- This is your chance to try skirt steak or flank steak, if you haven’t already. Save money, be daring and try something new!
- Part of the reason I use cilantro is that it’s super-cheap in the store, like sometimes 2 bunches for $1. Can’t beat that. I can’t even grow it for that cheap. Plus, I have a hard time growing it in my house. It tends to get old before I have a chance to get much off of it.
- You can totally substitute your favorite herbs, although cilantro is my favorite in this recipe because of the southwest flavor it gives the fajitas. But this chimichurri sauce is good in way more recipes than just these fajitas. Try it with basil or parsley sometime. So good too.
- If you don’t want it spicy at all, you can totally leave out the red pepper flakes, although, personally, I put a lot more than 1/4 tsp in mine.
- I definitely recommend heating up the tortillas. It makes them more pliable, doesn’t cool down your meat as fast and overall it just makes them taste better.
I would love to know if you try these and if you make them for a special occasion, or just because they sound good. Please comment below.
If you like this Gluten-Free fajitas, you may also like these recipes:
Grilled Steak Gluten-Free Fajitas Recipe with Cilantro Chimichurri
FOR THE BEEF:
- 2 pounds Skirt steak flank, or sirloin steak, sliced into thin strips(slice against the grain)
- 1/2 cup Cilantro chopped
- 2 Limes juiced
- 2 tsp Coarse Real Salt
- 2 Cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 2 Bell Peppers seeds removed, sliced into strips
- 1 Sweet Onion sliced into strips
FOR THE CHIMICHURRI:
- Corn Tortillas grill with the steak, if desired
- Sour Cream
FOR THE BEEF AND VEGGIES:
Place the steak in a bowl, and the peppers and onions in another bowl(or Ziploc bag.
Pour most of the mixture over the steak, leaving about a tablespoon to be poured over the veggies. Toss the steak and vegetables in the oil(separately), cover, and let marinate in the fridge for at least one hour.
Preheat the grill to medium/high. Lay the steak strips on the hot grill and cook until grill marks have appeared on both sides(flip halfway through cooking) and meat is cooked through.
Place the veggies in a grill basket and cook, flipping as needed, until the veggies are soft and lightly caramelized.
Serve with tortillas, toppings, and cilantro chimichurri.
FOR THE CHIMICHURRI:
Place all ingredients in a blender and process until the onions and cilantro and finely chopped and sauce is only lightly chunky. Serve with fajitas.