This gluten free enchilada casserole takes out a lot of the work of making enchiladas since you don’t have to roll them and fill them up separately. Plus, it actually ends up tasting better because the sauce, filling and cheese are distributed evenly – so every bite ends up tasting good.
I LOVE Tex-Mex, but it can generally be hard to make at home – well, at least to make well at home. It’s often a lot of work and involves cooking things all day or using ingredients I don’t know anything about. I mean, I wouldn’t begin to know how to make a lot of the delicious food I’ve eaten at a lot of Mexican restaurants. Luckily, there are a few dishes that are relatively easy to make, are good and my children like. Isn’t it such a bonus when your children actually like your dinner?
One of the best parts of this dish is that it’s full of flavor, but has relatively few ingredients. I put that it takes 20 minutes to prep, but I think it took me even less time than that. Most of the time this dish is baking in the oven, which I love because then I can do whatever I want while it bakes away.
This gluten free enchilada casserole is made with only a handful of ingredients, making it a healthy choice for you and your family. Plus it tastes great, comes together super fast, and is great for leftovers! My favorite kind of dinner.
A few suggestions for when you decide to make it:
- Feel free to use more cheese, if you are a big cheese lover. I thought 1 cup was plenty and might decrease it next time…but I am more of a little bit of cheese person, rather than a smothered in as much cheese as possible-type of person. Personal preference :).
- I also used ground turkey, but ground beef or chicken would work just as well.
- This recipe also doubles really easily, just make extra layers in your pan or make two pans.
- Finally, be aware of the enchilada sauce you are buying (or make your own). A lot of the store-bought enchilada sauces come with some unwanted ingredients, so make sure if you are on a gluten-free and/or Clean Eating diet that you get the right kind of sauce.
I would love to know if you make this quick gluten free enchilada casserole weeknight dinner and if you like it. Please comment below and let me know what you think!
If you like this gluten free enchilada casserole, you may also like these recipes:Print
This gluten-free enchilada casserole is a super-simple, delicious, and healthy weeknight dinner that the entire family will love.
- 1 pound ground turkey (ground beef or ground chicken may be substituted)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 4 oz can diced green chilis
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 10 oz cans gluten-free red enchilada sauce (or Clean Eating red enchilada sauce)
- Sour Cream
- Chopped Cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Brown the meat with the diced onion and garlic until meat it cooked through
- Remove from heat and stir the green chilis into the meat mixture
- Spread one can of enchilada sauce onto the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish
- Layer 4 corn tortillas on top of the enchilada sauce, ripping in half so you can spread them evenly
- Layer 1/2 of the cheese on top of the tortillas
- Layer the meat mixture
- Layer the remaining 4 tortillas, like the first layer
- Layer the second can of enchilada sauce
- Layer the remaining cheese
- Bake for 30 minutes
- Cut into six equal pieces and serve topped with optional sour cream and cilantro
Keywords: turkey, cheese, tortillas, Enchilada Casserole