These gluten-free chocolate peanut butter cookies have a chocolate brownie cookie base, a peanut butter filling and easy chocolate topping. They are inspired by buckeye brownies and the peanut butter chocolate bars I had for school lunch in elementary school. Oh! Those were SO good!
I think I have found my new favorite cookie – I know, I know I say that every time I post a new cookie recipe. I can’t help it, I love cookies, and I think they are all my favorite. Christmas is a dangerous and delicious time of year. There are cookies – EVERYWHERE! I love it and hate it at the same time.
These gluten-free chocolate peanut butter cookies have a rich chocolatey, fudgy, brownie-deliciousness base. Seriously, if you were feeling lazy, you could just make the cookie base and be completely satisfied with life…but the peanut butter and chocolate topping take these cookies to the next level of WOW!
Plus, the filling and chocolate topping is super-easy. One idea is to serve them on the side and let people choose how much, if any, of each topping they want. Plus, they are a lot easier to store that way. . . It’s no secret that I love chocolate and peanut butter together – really I love anything that has peanut butter or chocolate it in, but together is the best!
The peanut butter in these cookies is sandwiched in between chocolate; the brownie base and the dark chocolate on top – Yummm YUMMMAAAY!
Don’t let the look of these cookies fool you. They are super-simple to make. I didn’t even bust out my handheld mixer, but let’s be honest – I rarely bust that thing out. Maybe one day I will get a fancy stand mixer, but until then, stirring by hand (the old fashioned way) is easiest for me, and these cookies have no problem being mixed by hand. Plus, it gives my children something to do to help.
Best of all, these cookies are made with no refined sugar, wholesome ingredients and are grain and gluten free. It’s a cookie you can celebrate about! I would love to know if you try these gluten-free chocolate peanut butter cookies and what you think of them. Please comment below and let me know what you think!
If you like these cookies, you may also like these recipes:
These gluten-free chocolate peanut butter cookies have an almond flour chocolate cookie base, peanut butter filling and chocolate topping. They are a healthy way to enjoy the classic combination of chocolate and peanut butter.
For the Cookie Base
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot powder
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Real Salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 4 oz goat cheese (softened, cream cheese may be substituted)
- 1 egg
For the Peanut Butter Filling
For the Chocolate Topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Combine all of the ingredients for the base together in one large bowl
- Roll the dough into 20 individual sized balls, place on a cookie sheet, and slightly flatten with the palm or your hand or back of a spoon
- Bake 12-15 minutes
- While the cookies are baking combine the ingredients for the peanut butter filling. (Note: natural peanut butter is not created equal, so add the coconut flour 1/2 Tbsp at a time until a slightly sticky “dough” is formed. 1 Tbsp of coconut flour worked perfect for me)
- Once the cookies are done baking, roll the peanut butter into small balls and gently press into the middle of the warm cookies
- Melt together the chocolate chips and coconut oil and spoon over the cookies
- Allow to cool and serve
- Store in the fridge or freezer